Link // 03.23.2007 // 10:29 PM // 6 Comments

Django .96 is available

New version of Django is out. Now includes all new forms library and testing framework. Also, note that many Dreamhost servers have older versions of mySQL, so you’ll need to change your database setting to “mysql_old” for Django .96, which now expects newer versions.

Visit site...

Comments

1. 001 // Michael Hessling // 03.23.2007 // 8:19 PM

So that’s what it was. Do you know if DH will upgrade MySQLdb?

2. 002 // Jeff Croft // 03.23.2007 // 8:42 PM

Really not sure. :(

3. 003 // Manuel // 03.24.2007 // 6:03 PM

@MH: I’ve just read on the Django users group that WebFaction have added Django-0.96 to their one-click installer, upgrading MySQLdb (MySQL-Python driver) to version 1.2.2. As for DreamHost, they are not a python-focused host so I think they will upgrade MySQLdb only on user request. For the moment set your database engine to “mysql_old”. @Jeff: your site is currently “hosted by Dreamhost and WebFaction”. Could you give me more details about where are the Django apps, MySQL, the static files and the repository? I’m looking for a good Django hosting and I need good suggestions. Thanks.

4. 004 // Jeff Croft // 03.24.2007 // 6:16 PM

Django apps and PostgreSQL are on WebFaction. Most static files are on Dreamhost (but not all).

I don’t use MySQL at all. :)

5. 005 // Manuel // 03.25.2007 // 3:45 AM

PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database engine. Unfortunately it’s very difficult to find a shared host offering PostgreSQL…

Just a note about your post: you say that “many Dreamhost servers have older versions of mySQL”. Most likely they have older versions of MySQLdb, the driver that ensures MySQL support for Python (current version is MySQLdb-1.2.2b3). As for the database engine itself, all new databases created with DreamHost are using MySQL 5.0.

6. 006 // Jeff Croft // 03.25.2007 // 11:02 AM

@Manuel: you’re right, it’s MySQLdb, not MySQL itself. Just typoed in the post. I’ll fix it. As for Postgres — WebFaction has it! :)

Tags for this link