Link // 04.23.2007 // 8:21 PM // 9 Comments

Panic Coda: One-Window Web Development for Mac OS X

Okay, okay — let’s everyone just chill out a minute. I love Panic, and I’ve bought every app they’ve ever released. I think they’re probably the single best Mac development company in the world. But hot damn, this app has been out for all of five minutes and my feed reader is already overflowing with jizz coming out of every web developer’s pants. Yes, it look very cool, but let’s wait a few more than five minutes before we proclaim it the next coming of the Lord himself, okay? Has anyone actually built anything with it yet?

I live in TextMate. It’s my everything. It’s going to be really hard to get me to switch away from it. But if anyone can do it, Panic can. Initially, I feel like Coda has some really kick ass tools built in, and I’m definitely going to give it a shot. But it’s missing two very big TextMate features (for me personally): Subversion integration and a Django bundle. I rely pretty heavily on my Subversion repository, and not having tab completion and syntax coloring for Django would be pretty hard to get used to at this point.

We’ll see. This does look like an awesome app, especially if you just do HTML/CSS and not so much programming. But TextMate it is not — at least not yet, and not rom my initial five-minute glance at Coda. I’ll be keeping my eye on it, though.

Visit site...

Comments

1. 001 // Baxter // 04.23.2007 // 4:12 PM

It may depend on your workflow. I find myself making changes straight from the terminal or transmit’s edit view more often than I’d care to admit, so it might fit my workflow well (and encourage me to stop making those changes on the live site!).

I just don’t open textmate as much as I probably should. That might change if I ever got django installed on my local machine, but I haven’t bothered.

So, tab completion and syntax coloring would be icing for me, since I’m not really used to seeing them anyway. But, they would be nice, as would subversion integration.

I do appreciate that they seem to have taken a step back and reexamined things. Definitely going to have to download and give it a whirl.

2. 002 // Baxter // 04.23.2007 // 4:26 PM

Also, I like the site’s smart js use, and enjoyed their release notes: http://www.panic.com/coda/releas…

3. 003 // Ryan Berg // 04.23.2007 // 7:48 PM

I’ve played around a bit with it this afternoon. I’ve been hoping for a one-stop solution for my design / code workflow, but Coda’s not quite there yet.

The TextMate Django bundle will keep me doing most of my typing in TextMate, and I’ve experienced some wonkiness with the built-in terminal (Pressing the up arrow isn’t bringing up the last command, it’s inserting an up character).

4. 004 // Cameron Moll // 04.23.2007 // 10:54 PM

Baxter and Ryan touch on the key point here: Improved workflow. Seeing an app like this inevitably warrants a “why didn’t I think of that” moment. I think it’ll take another couple rounds of Coda releases before Panic gets it right, but they’re on the right track for shaking things up.

5. 005 // Jeff Croft // 04.23.2007 // 11:26 PM

@Cameron: I totally agree with you on that point. But, as it stands, I won’t be able to benefit from the improved workflow concepts they’ve got going with the one-window thing, because I’ll have to open up some other app to deal with SVN (unless I want to do command line, which I don’t), and my workflow will be suitably disrupted by not having the tab triggers and completion TextMate gives me for Django.

So yeah — I like the ideas they have for workflow improvement, but I can’t benefit from them until all the features are there. That’s all.

6. 006 // Cameron Moll // 04.24.2007 // 12:44 AM

You’re so anti-early-adopter :D

(Great typography slides btw!)

7. 007 // Brian Ford // 04.24.2007 // 8:52 AM

This actually seems like a great app for someone like me, who doesn’t know much about CSS and XHTML — but really wants to learn.

I like that it has the bundled book — though, one book doesn’t equal “books” — hopefully they’re planning to add more.

8. 008 // Jeff Croft // 04.24.2007 // 9 AM

Brian - yeah, it may be a good app for that. Especially for learning CSS, I’d say, since it has the built in visual editor for CSS. And the code hinting probably helps in learning HTML, as well. And it does actually have a few books, not just one (one each on four different topics — HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP, I think).

It’s definitely a very sweet app. It doesn’t quite cover all my needs yet, and I think the hoopla over it being contained in one window might be a bit overdone (Dreamweaver’s been doing this since the beginning of time, hasn’t it?) — but it’s definitely really well done and really nice. That’s why I’m disappointed about it not quite having the most advanced features I need. If it sucked, I wouldn’t care. :)

9. 009 // arlen // 04.24.2007 // 10:51 PM

I see two selling points: tabbed file management with Transmit (sans wonky workarounds); and, a gets-the-Mac-point interface. Without those, I might as well just slouch over the ugly Windows box in the garage and learn to love split-vertical.

Tags for this link