Link // 12.04.2006 // 12:59 AM // 7 Comments

Django on Dreamhost: incomplete headers 500 error: solved

Calling your FastCGI script dispatch.fcgi instead of django.fcgi solves this problem, which seems to be common on some Dreamhost servers. Works for Rails, too. Awesome.

Visit site...

Comments

1. 001 // Ryan Berg // 12.03.2006 // 10:12 PM

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thanks for pointing out this link. I’ve been struggling with dead Django/Dreamhost sites for two weeks now, with no answer to the 500 errors to be found, via the web or the #django room.

Oh, and um, thank you!

2. 002 // Philippe Marichal // 12.04.2006 // 3:46 AM

YES ! YES ! and some more YESes !!!
    I just released my first django-powered site this week end and this tip couldn’t come at a better times.

3. 003 // Baxter // 12.04.2006 // 8:40 AM

Information I really could have used last week, before I got fed up and moved to new hosting.

4. 004 // Ryan Berg // 12.04.2006 // 1:40 PM

Baxter -

I went ahead and purchased new hosting yesterday as well. But I was able to get this fix up and running before the DNS servers had switched over.

Even after the fix I’m still seeing some instability. This has basically just bought me time to explore alternatives, because Dreamhost cleary will not cut it for apps a business is depending on.

5. 005 // Jeff Croft // 12.04.2006 // 1:44 PM

I don’t think there’s any question that Dreamhost doesn’t cut it for mission critical applications. But, I don’t think that’s their target market, either. You get what you pay for. If you pay $5/month for hosting, you probably shouldn’t expect 100% uptime.

6. 006 // Baxter // 12.04.2006 // 2:55 PM

True, but some of us bought up to higher packages thinking we were buying more.

In Dreamhost’s defense, they were a reasonably competent host as long as Django wasn’t in the equation. And I am keeping my DH account for other, less demanding, sites.

My feeling is that they probably shouldn’t be on the list of Django-friendly hosts until they’re willing to actually support Django, and they probably shouldn’t support Django (or Ruby, for that matter) until they either make their FCGI implementation work a lot better, or offer mod_python. The “well we kinda sorta support it” stance doesn’t really work.

Then again, I was the fool that - despite considerable evidence to the contrary - tried to run a fairly busy django-based site on there. I should have paid attention to the red flags, and there were plenty of them.

7. 007 // Ryan Berg // 12.04.2006 // 3:29 PM

I just don’t get how our sites worked flawlessly from October 1st through mid-November, and then suddenly die. All had been well. And customer service taking almost three days to respond to a “Help! My site is down!” email is unacceptable.

I’m in agreement with Baxter that they should be removed from the Django-friendly hosts list. They’re an otherwise great host, but not dependable for Django needs.

I’ll see how my personal site runs once I get it running fully later this month, but all of my “real world” projects can’t stay.

Tags for this link